Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I Love My Senators—NOT

As if the missive from Republican Mel Martinez wasn't depressing enough, check out this from my Democratic senator (emphasis added):

Thank you for contacting me about recent events in the Gaza Strip. I share your concern about violence in the Middle East and know that the new administration will put the Israeli-Palestinian situation at the top of its agenda.

Maximum care must always be taken to minimize civilian casualties. I believe that the U.S. should work in support of an enforceable and sustainable long-term agreement that denies Hamas the ability to launch rockets out of Gaza and protects the lives of all civilians.

I will continue to monitor the situation closely and will keep your views in mind when making any future decisions on this issue. If you have any additional concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Hey, Major Tom: would it kill either of you fine public servants to show at least some small amount of concern for, oh, Israel's use of white phosphorus in crowded civilian areas? Among other things, they hit a UN compound and burned down a warehouse full of desperately needed relief supplies, you know. Will you get barred from the Capitol Subway or something if you show even a tiny amount of concern about such things? Who do you people work for, anyway? 'cause most Americans I know think there's at least as much wrong with firing white phosphorus into cities as there is firing rockets into them. Why are you people so outraged about the latter but so quiescent about the former?

And should the rest of us be worried that this odd form of moral blindness might be catching?


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?